By Jon D. Payne,Sebastian Heck
In 'A religion worthy Teaching', edited by means of Jon Payne and Sebastian Heck, an array of trustworthy pastor-scholars have fun the Heidelberg Catechism on its 450th anniversary with a suite of essays on its dynamic heritage, wealthy theology, and fruit-bearing perform that may be an encouragement to pastors and laypersons alike.
Table of Contents:
Foreword: the Heidelberg Catechism: the key of its luck - Herman J. Selderhuis
Part 1: The historical past and history of the Heidelberg Catechism
1. The background and other people in the back of the Heidelberg Catechism - Lyle D. Bierma
2. The Heidelberg Catechism within the usa - D. G. Hart
Part 2: The Heidelberg Catechism and the technique of Grace
3. keeping Firmly to the Heidelberger: The Validity and Relevance of Catechism Preaching - Joel R. Beeke
4. Preaching the Catechism this day - Joel R. Beeke
5. “Washed from All My Sins”: The Doctrine of Baptism within the Heidelberg Catechism - Sebastian Heck
6. “As definitely As I See and Taste”: The Lord’s Supper and the Heidelberg Catechism – Jon D. Payne
Part three: Christian Doctrine and the Heidelberg Catechism
7. accumulated, secure, and Preserved: The Church within the Heidelberg Catechism - Michael S. Horton
8. Grace and Gratitude: Justification and Sanctification within the Heidelberg Catechism - Cornelis P. Venema
9. The Christology of the Heidelberg catechism - Mark Jones
10. “Prophet, health care professional Jesus”: the Son of God as “Our excessive Priest and instructor” within the Heidelberg Catechism - Victor E. d’Assonville
11. The Spirit-Filled Catechism: The Heidelberg Catechism and the Holy Spirit - Daniel R. Hyde
Part four: The Heidelberg Catechism As Catechetical device
12. The Heidelberg Catechism one of the Reformed Catechisms - W. Robert Godfrey
13. The Heidelberg Catechism: A Catechetical device - Willem Verboom
14. Scholasticism within the Heidelberg Catechism? - Willem van’t Spijker
“This is a superb choice of articles, either useful and scholarly. there's a lot the following to aid us comprehend the historical past, the theology, and the ongoing relevance of the Heidelberg Catechism. As we pontificate during the Heidelberg in our church i'll definitely seek advice this e-book usually. It brought on me to reassess and back ‘Isn’t the Catechism remarkable!’ and, extra importantly, ‘Isn’t the gospel amazing!’” — Kevin DeYoung, senior pastor at collage Reformed Church, Lansing, Michigan, and writer of the excellent news We nearly Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a sixteenth Century Catechism
“As a precis and interpretation of God’s note composed for and licensed by means of the Reformed church buildings, the Heidelberg Catechism (1563) has a different position within the lifetime of the church buildings. we must always be glad about 'A religion worthy Teaching', a superb source that is helping us larger comprehend and use the catechism in our time.” — R. Scott Clark, professor of church background and old theology, Westminster Seminary California
Read or Download A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage PDF
Best church history books
In his missionary trips, St. Paul spoke in a couple of towns within the Greek peninsula together with Athens, popular for its philosophical historical past. He addressed to them the message of the only, Unknown God (Acts 17:22ff). between these found in the Areopagus (the open urban middle of Athens) on that day used to be a definite Denys (Dionysios) who finally turned a disciple of Paul.
This publication explains step by step the best way to elevate your kids saints. 456 pages with imprimatur. research the tactic of elevating saints. research the parenting strategies of oldsters of saints. personality is strongly inspired by means of religion. whilst and the way to educate young children the religion. educate young ones to make use of sacramental graces.
The reality of God, Biblical Theology has been identified to incite a few heated responses, even within the church. How do we indicate the biblical figuring out of doctrine, gospel, culture, cause, and adventure all go away us finally disillusioned. If we'd like solutions, we needs to flip to the note of God that primarily leads us to the reality of God.
This authoritative examine explores Eustathius of Antioch's theological anthropology, providing perception into the most vital thinkers of the early Arian controversy. Sophie Cartwright situates Eustathius' idea in terms of the early 'Arian' controversy, the Constaninian Revolution, the theological legacies of Irenaeus and Origen, and the philosophical statement culture.
- The Hyphenateds: How Emergence Christianity is Re-Traditioning Mainline Practices
- English Bibles on Trial: Bible burning and the desecration of Bibles, 1640–1800
- The African Memory of Mark: Reassessing Early Church Tradition (Early African Christianity Set)
- Worship and Mission After Christendom
- A Tale of Five Cities: A History of the Five Patriarchal Cities of the Early Church
Additional info for A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage
A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage by Jon D. Payne,Sebastian Heck